Wednesday, March 07, 2012

First time runner

Running for the first time. A shock, isn't it? At the age of 25 and for almost 8 years living in our subdivision, it was only now did I take advantage of the wide secluded streets to actually run.

It was still dark when I woke up, 5:30 to be exact. I woke up with my running attire on. Just stirred up a cup of Milo and I was ready to go. At first it was kind of scary, I wasn't really sure if there were dogs on the loose except for that white shitzu that kept smelling things around. I actually stopped when it trotted briskly my way. But I continued on.

I approximated the distance of one lap. It is only 400 m. That means, I need to finish around 3 laps to complete 1 km. Halfway through, I was tired. 2/3 of the time I was only brisk walking. It wasn't bad for a beginner like me.

Besides from the endorphins I got from my first "initiated" run, I actually appreciated being in tune with myself early on. When everyone is still at the verge of waking up, it felt peaceful. I thanked God for the beauty of dawn. Others were still yawning, washing their car, or preparing breakfast. It was nice to see how different households were also similar to us at those times. We all had different jobs and errands for the day but there's something about waking up that is familiar to everyone. All of us had to wake up and start our day. This sounds philosophical but you can't start your day if you don't practically wake up and exist in this world.

I haven't seen grumpy people around though but others were kind of serious. That guy looked like a corporate manager or something and might have been running late. An elder was in his jogging pants starting to walk. Running past him, I actually felt bad because he might feel like he can't run as fast anymore. LOL.

It was an amazing experience really having to see everyone at this hour. I don't mingle with our neighbors so it was like seeing them for the first time in a different light.

I finished the 3 laps in 45 minutes, semi panting and with my legs itching. Can someone explain why? Calculating my speed, it's around 1.3km/hr HAHA! Turtle! I didn't go for more laps lest I get burned out and knocked out again. Plus, when the sun is out, Ja goes in. Vit D is fine but not when the sun is brightly shining.

I hope to join a fun run soon. There will definitely be a repeat of this. Since running is part of my visual map for 2012, it means I already started picture number 8 in less than a month! I'm actually surprised with how fast I start my goals. As I always say to myself, it's okay to be a late starter. There is no better time to start your goals than today. Just do it and make the first step. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home